Browse through these FAQs to find answers to commonly raised questions.
Is it possible for students to take subjects at more than one level?

Yes. Students can take subjects at the level most suited to their ability and previous studies. For example, international students may be capable of doing mathematics at a level ahead of their other subjects, as mathematics involves less language than most other subjects.

Is ESOL tuition included in the tuition fee?

Yes, there is no extra payment required for ESOL tuition. 

Can international students take music lessons?

Yes, international students can become members of one of our many music groups and receive tuition on musical instruments.

Do international students have the opportunity to play sport at school?

Yes, many of our international students are members of sports teams. Students find that playing sport is a good way of getting to know local students and get involved in a wider range of activities.

Access to individual sports depends on the season. For example, tennis is played in summer, which are terms 1 and 4 in New Zealand. Football is played in winter, which are terms 2 and 3. For competitive teams, students should aim to arrive in term 1 when teams are being selected.

Is it compulsory for international students to have travel insurance?

Yes, international students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. When you arrive, you will be asked to show proof of a policy that covers the entire period of your stay. 

Can student visas in New Zealand be extended for a second or subsequent year?

International students are offered places one year at a time. We will provide the necessary documentation to extend their student visas if they are accepted for the following year.

What should I do if I am unhappy or dissatisfied with any aspect of my education?

Students who have concerns about any aspects of their education should immediately speak to the International Student Dean. If the problem is not resolved at this stage, the student should discuss her concern with the Director of International Students. 

Am I able to work while on a student visa?

New Zealand student visa regulations state that Year 12 and 13 international students are allowed to work up to 20 hours in any given week.

All students who wish to work must submit the following documents to the International Student Dean:

  • A completed application for Variation of Conditions form (NZIS)
  • A letter from your parents giving permission for you to work

Please note that your study records will be considered before permission to work is granted. International students undertaking a course of 12 months or more may apply to work full-time over the summer holidays. However, we will encourage that all students spend time with their families over the summer holidays.