About Us > Centenary > Year By Year

A snapshot of life at EGGS over the past 100 years

1910s

1917:  EGGS opened it's doors for the very first time on February 12, 1917.  Originally designed to cater for the overflow from Auckland Girls Grammar School, EGGS welcomed 174 Third and Fourth form students in this first year.  The original Speight Homestead (pictured below) contained 2 classrooms, the Headmistress's study, a book room and staff accommodation.  
 
  
 
1918:  EGGS had no provision for Fifth formers yet, so last year's Fourth formers returned to Auckland Girls Grammar School.  This year the school Library was established - a cupboard in a classroom!  The roll at EGGS grew to be 203 girls in 1918.
 
1919:  The fifth formers can now stay!  EGGS officially became an independent school this year.  The roll was now 311 meaning the year was spent building new rooms for the school.  1919 also saw the first publication of the school year book, Te Korero.
 
 
 

    

1920s

 

1920:  The image below is the school Hall in the 1920s.  The "helmet" from this building now sits proudly in the school grounds, a popular lunch spot in the middle of Paradise to this day.

 
 
1921: Lady Joyce Potter was one of the first three students to complete the full five year programme at EGGS.  Lady Potter was the first University Entrance Scholar and gained a Junior University Scholarship, only the 4th in New Zealand.  
 

 

About Us | Curriculum | Co-Curricular | Enrolments | International | Events/News | OGA | Development | Epsom House | Contact Us | Home
Browser Compatibility| Site Credits