OGA > Archives

The archives are open on Wednesdays during term time from 10am - 2pm.

Phone: (64 9) 970 6762

email: archives@eggs.school.nz

History of EGGS

Epsom Girls Grammar School was established in February 1917, the third of the Auckland Grammar Schools.

The site at Silver Rd, Epsom had been designated for this school so the AGS Board built a new wooden Hall and classrooms building to augment an existing old house, which was altered to include two classrooms, headmistresses study, bookroom and staffroom. Buildings and sports grounds have been steadily increased and improved over the years.
For the first two years the school had 3rd and 4th forms only but then added one class each year until there was a 6A (Year 13) in 1920.

There has always been an emphasis on academic excellence and participation and success in sport, drama and music.

Staff - 1956

In the School Magazine 1917 Miss Morrison exhorted her students to

'Be honourable, hard-working, and helpful; cultivate character, intelligence, and kindliness; endeavour always to do your duty to God and man. If you keep these aims before your minds, you cannot fail to win true success both in school and in your future lives.’
EGGS was delighted to welcome Mrs Madeline Gunn when she was appointed principal in 2009.
She is the tenth woman to take up this role in the 92 years of the school.

The first headmistress, 1917-1929, was Miss Annie Morrison MA. She had been First Assistant at AGGS the previous year and began in Epsom with six full time female teachers and 174 3rd and 4th form pupils. With visiting teachers for physical culture, singing, elocution and drawing Miss Morrison quickly established the academic, cultural and sporting traditions that remain today. 1919 saw the first 5th form and the first 6A of 4 girls began in 1921. The roll grew more quickly than expected and continued to grow steadily and much time was required to develop classrooms to meet the increasing need.

1919 began with three classes in tents. Subjects taught in the early years included English, Mathematics, French, Latin, Roman History, Botany, Geography, History, Hygiene and Domestic Science. The cricket pitch was completed on the Silver Rd field in 1925.

Miss Morrison encouraged girls to take their secondary education seriously, to complete four years at least and gain a qualification.

School Roll Growths

1920 344
1925 515
1929 607
1953 1001
1964 1142
1985 1341
1996 1650
2010 2150

 

Principals

 1917-1929  Miss Annie Morrison  MA
 1930-1947  Miss Agnes Loudon  CBE, MA, Dip Ed.
 1948-1952  Miss Margaret Johnston  MA
 1953-1970  Miss Marjory Adams  MA, MSc, Dip Ed.
 1970-1979  Miss Ailsa Blakey  MA
 1979-1988  Miss Gae Griffiths  MA (Hons), ATCL
 1988-1996  Mrs Verna Dowdle  BA
 1996-2004  Mrs Margaret Bendall  BA (Hons), Dip Tchg
 2005-2007  Ms Annette Sharpe  MSc, Dip Soc Sci, PG Dip Ed Admin, Dip Tchg.
 2008  Mrs Madeline Gunn  Acting Principal
 2009-2015  Mrs Madeline Gunn  MEd Mgmt (Hons), BA, Dip SM, Dip Tchg.
 2016-current  Mrs Lorraine Pound  MEd Mgmt (Hons), MA (Hons), LTCL, Dip Tchg

 

Some "firsts" for EGGS

Two form classes were in tents at the beginning of 1919.

Electric light was installed in 1929.

Training college students ‘on section’ 1931.

First secretary for headmistress appointed 1925.
The Grammar schools have always had compulsory uniforms and have used navy and gold as colours with a gold lion and Epsom Girls as the third school followed the tradition.
There have been three changes of uniform in the school’s 93 years.
The first worn all year from 1917-1951 and as a winter uniform until 1971 consisted of a navy gym dress, white blouse, navy and gold tie, navy blazer with gold lion on the pocket, a navy felt panama hat with school hat badge and gloves.
The very early years show considerable variation but by the 1920s the students wore a uniform that was definitively EGGS.
A summer uniform was introduced in 1952, consisting of a light-weight ‘V’ neck navy tunic with short-sleeved white blouse, fawn stockings and white panama hat.
The second change occurred in 1972 with a ‘V’ neck tweed blue tunic, pale blue blouse, royal blue blazer ,tie and jumper. Hats and gloves were dropped. For summer there was a pale blue shirt dress with front zip and white collar.
The next change returned to true navy in 1992 and with some changes is the uniform worn today, navy culottes and striped blouse for summer and navy tunic and blouse and jumper for winter.
The 7th form wore a different uniform for the first time in 1970. For many years the girls chose the uniform for their year.
Sports’ uniforms have always been worn from the gym (drill) tunic worn all day to the rompers of the 1950's and 60's to the well-designed, attractive variety of today.
EGGS has always had boarders.
Initially girls from out of Auckland boarded in private homes.
The school boarding houses have been at various addresses and Epsom House on the adjacent site was opened in the 1960's.
About Us | Curriculum | Co-Curricular | Enrolments | International | Events/News | OGA | Development | Epsom House | Contact Us | Home
Browser Compatibility| Site Credits